We at ELCA Mission Funding invite you to join us on a special trip to the Holy Land of Israel and Palestine. As we visit the places of Jesus’ birth, ministry, death, and resurrection, we will also have the unique opportunity to visit the congregations and ministries of our partner church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL), and to see firsthand how our mission support for Palestinian Lutherans helps them, and their communities, to flourish.
Rahel Mwitula Williams serves as a Director for Global Mission Funding with ELCA Development. In this role, she seeks to develop and deepen relationships with ELCA Lutherans, participate in the church’s call to service, and create a lasting impact through ELCA Missionaries, Young Adults in Global Mission volunteers, Global Ministry projects, and the International Women Leaders initiative.
To register or for more information, please contact Rahel Mwitula Williams, director for Global Mission funding, at Rahel.Mwitula-Williams@elca.org
Trip departs on November 2, 2023 and returns on November 15, 2023
Departure Airport: Chicago, IL (ORD) - Other cities available
$5,890.00 per person based on double occupancy - space is limited!
Single room supplement - $1290.00
Land only (if booking your own flights) - $4,740.00 (airfare credit $1,150.00)
$500.00 deposit per person with registration to secure space
$1,000.00 of the total amount is due on or before May 20, 2023
Balance due on or before August 20, 2023
Registering online? Click the "BOOK NOW" button and fill out the online form; you can pay by check or with a credit card.
Registering by mail? Please download and complete the registration form (both the personal information page and the terms and conditions page signed at the bottom) with a copy of your passport and a deposit of $300.00 per person made payable to Elias Tours and mail to: 4941 Chalden Ln NE, Marietta, GA 30066
Download the Registration Form
Flight information will be available 3 months before the return date. Please continue to check the itinerary on the website for updated flight information.
* Flight times, flight numbers, equipment, gates, and seats are subject to change. For the most current information check the airline website.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 261-7791
What is included in the tour
- Airfare from Chicago, IL (ORD) - Other cities available
- 12 nights in 4-star hotels (Double Occupancy)
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner daily
- Entrance fee to all sites
- All ground transportation in a private tour bus
What is NOT included in the tour
- All Personal Expenses
- Passport fees
- Transportation to and from US airports
- Gratuities for guide and driver
- TRAVEL INSURANCE: Travel Insurance is required and not included in the purchase price. For your convenience, we offer travel insurance through Travelex Insurance Services. For questions, quotes, or to purchase travel insurance, visit Travelex Insurance or call (800) 228-9792 and use the code 26-0057 for Elias Tours.
ELCA HOLY LAND TRIP AND ELCJHL ENCOUNTER
We at ELCA Mission Funding invite you to join us on a special trip to the Holy Land of Israel and Palestine. As we visit the places of Jesus’ birth, ministry, death and resurrection, we will also have the unique opportunity to visit the congregations and ministries of our partner church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL), and to see firsthand how our mission support for Palestinian Lutherans helps them, and their communities, to flourish.
The ELCJHL consists of six congregations and numerous ministries in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Jordan. This Arabic-speaking church of about 3,000 members is led by Bishop Sani Ibrahim Azar. The ELCJHL’s mission is to proclaim the gospel through public witness, schools and diakonia programs that include environmental education, vocational training, affordable housing and senior services. The ELCJHL preserves and strengthens the Christian presence in the Holy Land, and offers a voice of compassion in a volatile environment. Through a commitment to achieving long-term sustainability, strengthening women’s and family rights, and providing support and leadership development for lay leaders and pastors, the ELCJHL is boldly living out God’s call for peace, reconciliation and love.
As Palestinians continue to struggle for autonomy and nationhood, they also face a lack of access to education, health care, employment opportunities, affordable housing, strong leadership and greater recognition within the international community. The ELCJHL remains a strong Christian presence
in these demanding times, providing leadership in ecumenical efforts and offering spiritual and social services to meet the daily needs of its neigh- bors—Christians and Muslims alike. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has committed to partnering with the ELCJHL in developing and supporting these priorities of the church. Through our financial support, prayers and presence—including ELCA missionaries and the Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) program—as well as through personal encounters such as this trip, there is great opportunity to walk alongside this church as it continues to work toward peace and reconciliation in the Holy Land.
In addition to visiting important biblical and historical sites, we will encounter the living faith of the people and ministries of the ELCJHL.
We invite you to be renewed and strengthened in your own faith as you “come and see” (John 1:39) the transformative work of this church in a challenging context and the powerful impact of our Lutheran relationships at work in the world.
Day 1 (Nov 02 – THU): Depart from Chicago.
- Depart on your overnight flight - meals are served on board
Day 2 (Nov 03 – FRI): Arrive in Tel Aviv and travel to the Sea of Galilee
- Arrive in Tel Aviv, meet your guide, drive to Tiberias via coastal plains, Dinner and overnight at hotel in Tiberias
Day 3 (Nov 04 – SAT): Cana – Nazareth
- Open buffet breakfast
- This morning start with visit of Cana of Galilee
- On to Nazareth visiting Basilica of the Annunciation, St. Joseph’s Church, Mary’s Well
- Dinner and overnight at hotel in Tiberias
Day 4 (Nov 05 – SUN): Sea of Galilee.
- Worship with Holy Communion by the water and end the day with a boat ride.
- Open buffet breakfast
- Start the day with visit to Capernaum
- See the Church of the Primacy of Peter
- Mount of Beatitudes
- This afternoon we visit the place of the Multiplication of Loaves and Fish.
- Enjoy a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee
- Dinner and overnight at hotel in Tiberias.
Day 5 (Nov 06 – MON): Travel to Jerusalem.
- Visit Palestinian village of Eilaboun and a devotion a top the Mount of Transfiguration
- Open buffet breakfast
- Check out of hotel
- Start the day with visit to Palestinian village of Eilaboun
- On to Mt Tabor for visit & Devotion time
- Precede to Bethlehem
- Dinner and overnight at hotel in Bethlehem
Day 6 (Nov 07 – TUE): Bethlehem
- Christmas Lutheran Church and Church of the Nativity. Dine with ELCJHL bishop.
- Visit Lutheran schools in Bethlehem
- Christmas Lutheran Church
- Church of Nativity & Shepherd field
- Dinner at hotel with ELCJHL Bishop
- Overnight in Bethlehem
Day 7 (Nov 08 – WED): Visit Evangelical Lutheran Church and School
- Visit Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hope
- Visit School of Hope in Ramallah
- Dinner with ELCJHL pastors.
- Overnight Bethlehem
Day 8 (Nov 09 – THU): Mount of Olives - Augusta Victoria Hospital
- Visit LWF Vocational Training Center
- LWF housing project
- Augusta Victoria Hospital to witness the work of the Lutheran World Federation.
- Visit Church of the Ascension & Church of the Pater Noster
- Panoramic view from the top of Mount of Olives, then walk palm Sunday route
- Dominus Flevit for visit
- On passing by St. Mary Magdalene Church to Garden of Gethsemane
- Church of All Nations and the Garden of Gethsemane.
- In the afternoon visit MT Zion to include the Upper room, King David Tomb
- St.Peter in Galicantu
- Back to our hotel for dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
Day 9 (Nov 10 – FRI): Wadi Qelt – Jericho – Dead Sea
- Wadi Qelt, we enjoy a view of St. George’s Monastery.
- Drive to the city of Jericho
- Visit Tel Jericho followed by visit of the Monastery of Temptations
- Dead Sea where we can enjoy a dip in the relaxing and healing waters of the Dead Sea
- Return to Bethlehem. Dinner and overnight.
Day 10 (Nov 11 – SAT): Meet with pastors and tour Old City.
- Meet with Pastors in Old City
- Via Dolorosa, the path that Jesus walked from the Antonia Fortress to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
- Jewish Quarter
- Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest site.
- St Anne’s church and the nearby Pools of Bethesda
- Dinner and overnight in Bethlehem.
Day 11 (Nov 12 – SUN): Mass in the Redeemer - Visit Environmental Education - Bethlehem
- Mass at the Redeemer church
- Visit Environmental Education Centre
- Evangelical Lutheran School in Beit Sahour
- Dinner in Bethlehem, with Palestinian folk dancing by Lutheran students.
Day 12 (Nov 13 – MON): Travel to Jordan - Bethany Beyond - Petra
- Travel to Jordan
- Visit Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bethany Beyond the Jordan.
- Worship with affirmation of baptism at Jordan River
- Overnight in Petra
Day 13 (Nov 14 – TUE): Visit Petra and travel to Amman. Dinner with ELCJHL Pastor.
- Visit Petra
- Travel to Amman
- Dinner with ELCJHL Pastor
- Overnight in Amman
Day 14 (Nov 15 – WED): Departure to Chicago.
NOTE: The schedule is subject to change due to various factors and at your Tour Leaders’ and Guide’s discretion.